The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. It's the same with taxes. We can't go back in time, so make a difference today!
The amount of your future property tax bill isn't set yet, and NOW is the time to contact your local city council members, county supervisors, and school board members - when they are starting to discuss their 2020-21 budgets.
What Should You Say?
Have a polite conversation. Here are some suggestions:
- Personalize the tax increase. Share what it does to you.
- Remind them that government budgets should not grow faster than household budgets.
- Ask them to justify a budget increase larger than the cost of living and inflation.
- Mention that spending more taxpayer dollars will not solve every problem.
- Point out THEY control property tax bills. Don't let them blame the assessor.
Make an even larger impact by electing the right people. In many communities, local officials who will determine your tax bill will be elected in just two weeks. Talk to these candidates (see bullet points above) and incumbent council/board members to determine their approach to local property taxes. THEN VOTE!
Calculate Your Tax Bill
It's good to have friends, and it's great to have smart friends.
If you live in the Des Moines Metro area, our smart friends at Taxpayers Association of Central Iowa created a tool to calculate your next property tax bill - if no change is made to your current rate. It might be eye-opening. So, contact your local elected officials today!
Don't know how to contact your local candidates or elected officials?
Let us know where you live, and we will find their contact information. Click the button below: